Updated: Nov 18, 2020
Image c/o Ruston Grant
One medium to large sweet onion into eights
2 Medium Carrots in 1” slices
1 can (14 oz.) red kidney or bean of choice (rinsed)
1-2 Jalapeño peppers diced
1 TBSP. Olive oil
1 tsp. fennel seeds
1/8 tsp salt
Black pepper to taste
1. Preheat oven to 400F.
2. Toss onions and carrots with fennel seeds, olive oil, salt and pepper in large baking dish lined with tin foil. Be sure to spread evenly. If making a large batch you may need to bake in two batches.
3. Roast in over for 35 to 45 minutes or until vegetables are soft and slightly caramelized. Mix once while roasting to avoid sticking.
4. Turn off heat.
5. Allow to sit until cool (30 to 40 minutes).
6. Combine roasted veg with kidney beans in deep bowl. Blend mixture using immersion blender or transfer to a stand up blender to make a paste.
7. Stir in diced Jalapeño.
8. Place in bowl and set aside.