Updated: Jan 22, 2021
Healthy gravy? YES. This blend is made up of mushrooms, liquid and an abundance of flavour from the herbs, seasonings and miso. I love to serve on top of a combination mashed cauliflower and potatoes or traditional smashed potatoes.
Image c/o Daring Gourmet
· ½–¾ cup vegetable or mushroom stock, warmed
· 2–3 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
· 1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
· ½ teaspoon mustard powder
· 1 tablespoon dark miso
· 1–2 tablespoons olive oil
· 2–3 cups mushroom medley
· 1–2 cloves garlic, finely minced
· 2–4 sprigs of fresh thyme or oregano
· ½ teaspoon black pepper
1. Whisk warm stock with vinegar, Dijon mustard, mustard powder and miso in bowl and set aside.
2. Heat olive oil in a large cast iron sauté pan over medium heat.
3. Add mushrooms, increase heat to medium high and allow to sit for 2–3 minutes so the mushrooms begin to brown on one side.
4. Add garlic, pepper, thyme or oregano to mushrooms.
5. Lower heat to medium, add vinegar mixture and mix well for 1–2 minutes until miso dissolves.
6. Reduce heat to medium, continue to simmer and reduce to desired thickness. Turn off and cover. Pepper to taste.