Updated: Sep 7, 2021
My Most Requested Recipe (Video Recipe Below)
Of the hundreds of recipes I’ve sent, this by far is my most sought after and shared recipe. This is so delicious and nutritious, you will want to make this an autumn staple and share this with your loved ones. While initially I came up with this medley as a dessert, it also makes for great leftovers served over yogurt or added to my morning oats.
4 firm large washed apples such as Cortland or Matsu, cut in 1" chunks (Bosc pears work well too or combine apples and pears)
1–2 tbsp butter or non-stick spray
Juice of 2 lemons + zest
Juice of 1 lime + zest
zest of one orange
½ cup rolled oats
½ cup combination of chopped raw nuts (walnuts, almonds, pecans)
¼ cup seeds (pumpkin and sunflower)
½ cup currants or raisins
¼ cup unsweetened shredded coconut
¼–½ cup fresh or frozen cranberries.
2–3 tsp cinnamon
¼ tsp each ground nutmeg, allspice, cloves
1. Place oven rack on upper middle part of oven.
2. Preheat oven to 400°F.
3. Lightly butter medium sized Pyrex dish or coat with non-stick spray, set aside.
4. Place apple chunks, lemon, lime and orange zests in a large bowl.
5. Add lemon and lime juices to apples and mix well to coat apples with juice.
6. Add remaining ingredients and mix well. Be sure to coat all the apples with oat mixture.
7. Spread mixture into dish. Be sure to have one layer of apples; otherwise use a larger dish.
8. Cook for 8–10 minutes, or less if you like your apples little more raw.
9. Broil on low for 2 minutes to crisp top.
10. Turn oven off, leaving door partially open. Allow to sit in oven for 5 minutes.
11. Serve warm or at room temperature.